This week has been satisfactorily boring. As in, we haven’t ventured out to a grocery store except once, when I had to get tomatoes at the farmer’s market. I had prepped all of the veggies for last week’s Rainbow Noodle Salad, and failed to let the Norseman know they were not nicely prepared snacks. He decimated my tomatoes. Now, tomatoes are only 99 cents for a pint there, right now, so I added in a pint of blackberries (.99), a bag of chocolate candies (1.29), and two yellow squash (.99/lb) that Prima was very insistent on. That way I was able to use my debit card as I didn’t have any cash with me. We also reserved a bushel of Pink Lady apples from the farm that we did our CSA through this summer. I will go grocery shopping again on Friday or Saturday, depending on what our weekend plans are.
This Week’s Meal Plan
- Sunday – we forgot about the fish fry at church, and had that for lunch, and leftovers for supper (we get to take home lots of leftovers.)
- Monday – I found a bag of long forgotten gumbo or jambalaya in the freezer on Saturday. We reheated it, I added in a bag of frozen spinach, a can of diced tomatoes, a few leftover garbanzo beans, and some chicken stock.
- Tuesday – At this point, I’ve been sick since Sunday night, so the Norseman stayed home and cooked up some lentils, spinach, leftover fish (Sunday) and some spices in one stovetop dish. It was sooo warm and hearty. I don’t remember lunch, and supper was the leftovers from Monday’s gumbo soup.
- Wednesday – We still have a bit of soup leftovers, so that is our lunches. Supper we pay for at church tonight. On the menu: BBQ Chicken Sandwich, Cheddar Bacon Potatoes, Pear Salad, Pound Cake. Might I mention that it is only $4/person or $12/family? Our hospitality team is pretty amazing.
- Thursday – I have shredded chicken in the freezer and leftover udon noodles, so I’m planning a noodle soup, with fresh bread.
- Friday – This is traditionally pizza night. I will either make a pizza, or we may order one, as we have some coupons for $5 off, and free cheesy bread. And we love us some cheesy bread around here.
- Saturday – Planning meatloaf, mashed sweet potatoes with onions and curry powder, vegetable
- Sunday – Leftovers from Saturday, and PB&J’s
Next week there will be a couple of casseroles to cover multiple days, and maybe a night or two of eating out. A quick glance at sale papers has me planning these purchases:
- Earth Fare: Grass-Fed Ground Sirloin 3.99/lb – this is the lowest price it ever gets to, so I will plan to by 4-5 lb.
- Kroger: Honeycrisp Apples 1.99/lb, Bacon 2.99/lb, Cheese, 2.47/lb WYB 4, Kroger or Green Giant frozen veggies $1, Pears .98/lb,
It turns out I’m pretty optimistic about what we will or won’t use in a two week time frame. We have 3 (2-cup) bags of shredded chicken, a fish fillet, and a pound of ground beef still left from the beginning inventory. There are plenty of sweet potatoes and onions, some cabbage, 1.5 dozen eggs, a handful of veggies, and a couple of apples left as well. My takeaway is to purchase more vegetables for snacking and yogurt at one time Or perhaps plan a big trip biweekly, and a small trip every other week for extra veggies and yogurt. We shall see! What are your plans this week?